NAPLES WALKING CLUB
SATURDAY, APRIL 6, 2019
Gail Risner, President, opened the meeting at 8:20 a.m. Eighteen (18) members attended. Gail encouraged members to check our club website and “like us” on Facebook.
Treasurer’s Report: Lucy Sparrazza, Treasurer, reported that the club has $1,098.01 as of March 31, 2019. A listing of year-to-date expenses was also included in the Treasurer’s Report.
Meeting Minutes: Carol Mumford, Secretary, asked for approval of the March 2, 2019 Meeting Minutes. The minutes were approved as written.
Rules of the Road: Linda McNerhany, Vice President, reminded members about the correct way to walk to assure safety. On a path stay on the right side, on a street walk on the left facing oncoming traffic. If there is a sidewalk we should be walking on the sidewalk. Be sure to stay alert when walking and aware of your surroundings. Pepper spray is an item to consider carrying when walking alone.
Website: Joanne Dempsey, Webmaster, provided an update on research being done to update our website. Joanne is testing a software package called Club Express that will allow the club to have better continuity for club and member information, allow payment of dues with credit cards, put all club information in one place, have better search capabilities, an integrated email system, facilitate emergency contact information, is reasonably priced, and much easier to maintain than our current website.
T-Shirts: T-Shirt Coordinator, Debbie Vallante, indicated that a t-shirt order was just placed, and that she is starting a new order. Orders for t-shirts can be made by contacting or emailing Debbie. The types of shirts and colors available can be viewed on our Naples Walking Club website.
Events: Mary Ann Bohannan, Events Coordinator, reviewed the following events:
- PSP Walk – Mary Ann thanked the 7 club members who participated in the PSP fundraising walk on Saturday, March 9, 2019 on Marco Island.
- St. Patrick’s Day Potluck Party – Mary Ann also thanked Lloyd Adams and Garry Adams for hosting our St. Patrick’s Day Potluck Party on Sunday, March 17, 2019 at their clubhouse. The food was delicious, and it was a fun event!
- Blue Zones- National Walking Day and Track your Trek to Loma Linda – The Blue Zones National Walking Day event on April 3rd was very nice, and club members Mike and Ann Santogatta were winners of two of the prizes. Ann won the grand prize—-2 nights at the Marco Island Marriott, and Mike won a gift certificate to the Café on 5th.
- Monthly Evening Walks – Evening walks are held on the second Monday and fourth Thursday of the month beginning at 6:00 (New Time). Reminder emails will be sent a few days before each walk. You don’t have to walk to meet us for dinner. This month’s evening walks are:
- Monday, April 8, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. (New Time and Place) at the Island Gypsy Restaurant at Park Shore Resort, 600 Neopolitan Way. (Head west on Neopolitan Way, turn left on West street. Find a parking spot by the condos and head into the middle of the complex until you see the restaurant. Meet at the bridge.) We will walk for an hour, and then return to the restaurant for dinner.
- Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. (New Time) at Eagle Lakes Community Park; we will walk for an hour, and go to dinner either at Brook’s Burgers or another close-by restaurant.
- Hills of Marco Walk – Linda McNerheny announced that the date for this walk will be Saturday, April 20th at 7:30 a.m. Meet at the Publix.
- Atlanta Fall Trip and Walk – Out trip to Atlanta is tentatively scheduled to depart from Naples on October 16th, staying that night in Gainesville, and then spending October 17-19th in Atlanta. Information on hotels is still being gathered.
Finances: Gail indicated that a poll will be sent to members to get ideas on how the club should spend our money, i.e. more money on events, buying a bench at Baker Park, etc.
Volunteers Requested: Gail announced that the Naples Pathways Coalition is asking for walking volunteers who would like to serve on their Board. Joanne reported that the Coalition advocates for safe bicycle and walking areas in Collier County, and the Board really wants the pedestrian perspective. The position is a working position and meets once a month. Joanne also announced that the Collier Metropolitan Planning Organization Bicycle and Advising Committee is asking for volunteer Board members. See Joanne with any questions on these two opportunities.
Next Meeting: The next meeting of the Naples Walking Club will be on Saturday, May 4, 2019 at the Greenway.