NAPLES WALKING CLUB
OCTOBER 7, 2017
President, Mary Moran, called the October meeting to order at 8:25 a.m. Fifteen members and two guests were present. Three members have October birthdays: Carol Greenberg, Carol Krafft, and Janine Jedlicka.
Guest speakers, Beth Brainard and Bill Ale, overviewed the mission of the Naples Pathways Coalition. They are advocates for bicyclists, runners and walkers, and propose legislation, policies and work with planning organizations to improve conditions and ensure safety. They also have several education programs including Lights for Bikes and safety programs for children. They requested input from members on the safety needs of walkers, and encouraged members to join their organization. Joanne Dempsey volunteered to serve on the Pathways Coalition Board and represent walkers. Club members also approved a $100 donation to their organization. More information on the organization is available at www.naplespathways.org.
The May 2017 Minutes were approved, as written.
Treasurer Report: Marsha McGuiness reported that the club has a balance of $921.54 as of September 30, 2017.
Membership and Mileage: Mary reported that the club has 61 members. Joanne Dempsey indicated that mileage is reported on the club website, and members can email their mileage to her.
T-Shirts: Debbie Vallante has an inventory of club shirts for those who are interested. She needs 4 more orders in order to place a new order for the lightweight shirts. She requested that members email their orders to her.
Mary reviewed upcoming club activities:
- The Cape Cod trip which 7 members are participating in begins this coming week.
- The club will participate in the Collier County Heart Walk scheduled at 8 a.m. in Cambier Park on November 4th. Members approved postponing our November meeting until November 11, 2017. A $100 donation to the American Heart Association was approved.
- Members approved that the November 11, 2017 walk on Veteran’s Day will be at Freedom Park at 8 a.m. followed by our monthly meeting at IHOP.
- Members approved a $100 donation for Genevieve Homiller’s team (friend of a club member) for the Juvenile Diabetes Walk to be held at the Villages at Venetian Bay at 9:30 on December 2, 2017. Members are encouraged to participate in the 1.25 miles walk. See firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Mary encouraged members to volunteer for manning the water stop for the Naples Half Marathon on January 14, 2018.
- Lovi Holland, Debbie Vallante, and Deborah Stevenson volunteered to serve on the nominating committee to develop candidates for election as next year’s club officers. The meeting to elect the new board will be held on December 2, 2017.
- Everyone is invited to join the Happy Ukulele Group (HUG) singing and strumming on October 8, 2017 from 2-4 p.m. at the Collier County Headquarters Library on Orange Blossom and Airport Road.
The next meeting of the Naples Walking Club will be held on November 11, 2017 at the IHOP restaurant on Davis Avenue.
Respectfully Submitted, Carol Mumford