NAPLES WALKING CLUB
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2018
Gail Risner opened the meeting at 8:14 a.m. Twenty-one (21) members were present. Happy Birthday to our members who have February birthdays: Patricia Fermanis 2/5, Rick Baker 2/14, and Susan Camino 2/17.
New Members – Welcome to new members Lloyd Adams, Susan Fisher, Jane Wendt, and Mariellen Young.
Naples Pathways Coalition – Gail reported that the Naples Pathways Coalition walk was very successful and that Joanne Dempsey was instrumental in organizing the walk. Informative articles about the Coalition have been included in the Living in Naples magazine and the Naples Daily News.
Treasurer’s Report – Marsha McGuinness reported that the club has $1,176.22 as of January 2018. Thank you letters for our donations were received from St. Matthew’s House and the JDRF One Walk.
T-Shirts – Gail indicated that Debbie Valente placed a t-shirt order on Monday, January 29th. They usually take 5-7 days to come in. She will bring them next Saturday (for those that walk up north) and one day during the week for those that walk downtown.
- Open Positions: Gail asked for volunteers to fill the Marketing/Publicity Director & Club Historian/Photographer Board positions.
- A club members has volunteered their home for a club winter party. Lucy Sparrazza, Mary Ann Bohannan, and Susan Fisher volunteered to coordinate and determine a date for the party.
- Gail introduced the possibility of reestablishing a North Naples Walking Group. After discussion, it was suggested that several walks be offered in North Naples for members to determine the desirability of ongoing regular walks.
- Mary Ann Bohannan suggested a new walk beginning at Barnes and Noble and walking about 2 1/2 to 3 miles out to Clam Pass and down the beach. She will schedule a date and email members.
- Gail asked everyone to check and update their member information on our website. Our Membership Chair will be updating the website membership list. Gail also encouraged everyone to check their email regularly for club updates.
- Wendy Bright overviewed three opportunities for members: 1.) The Family to Family Kids Crisis Closet is requesting donation of kitchen items for families who are setting up homes after hardship situations. Items should be brought to Wendy. 2.) Wendy and Linda McNerhany are doing a Road Scholar trip to the Smoky Mountains in September. Any members who are interested should let Wendy know. 3.) On March 2, 2018 a Lovers Key Kayak trip is scheduled. The cost if $60. Interested members should contact Wendy to register.
Future Walks –
- Mary Moran is scheduling a walk to the Hills of Marco Island for Friday, March 9th. More details with be emailed to members.
- February 17th – NAMI 2.5 Mile Walk, Cambier Park. Club members agreed to donate $100 to the walk and will allow all members to participate. Fun, food and entertainment begins at 8:30 a.m., the walk begins at 9:30 and ends at 11:00.
- March 10th – PSP Walk at Mackle Park, Marco Island from 10:30-1:30, cost $25.
Mileage – Joanne Dempsey reminded members to email their mileage to her on a monthly basis if they want to track it. 2017 annual mileages were as follows:
- Bonnie Vaughan – 730
- Deborah Stevenson – 1942
- Joanne Dempsey – 597
- Ginny MacDonald – 872
- Jane Baker – 1605
- Linda McNerhany – 1201
- Lucy Sparazza – 835
- Mary Moran – 669
- Nadine Kelly 799
- Marj Robins – 300
Members with over 600 miles were eligible for the $50 drawing. The winner of this year’s drawing was Linda McNerhany – Congratulations Linda!
Joanne also reminded members that any items for the club newsletter should be emailed to her before the 3rd week of the month. The club meeting minutes are published on our website and are also included in the monthly newsletter.
Gail closed the meeting after asking and receiving approval for the January 6, 2018 Minutes.
Next Meeting – The next meeting of the Naples Walking Club will be on Saturday, March 3, 2018 at the Greenway.