NAPLES WALKING CLUB
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2018
Gail Risner opened the meeting at 8:12 a.m. Seventeen (17) members were present. Gail offered members some of the new Naples Walking Club business cards available to distribute to recruit new members.
Treasurer’s Report: Lucy Sparrazza, Interim Treasurer, reviewed our current income and expenditures and reported that the club has $607.57 as of December 1, 2018. An indication of anticipated future expenditures was also reviewed. A thank you letter was received from the American Heart Association for our recent $100 donation.
November Minutes: Carol Mumford asked for approval of the November 10, 2018 Meeting Minutes. The minutes were approved as written.
Election of Officers: The following candidates were approved by the members as our 2019 club officers:
- President – Gail Risner
- Vice President – OPEN
- Secretary – Carol Mumford
- Treasurer – Lucy Sparrazza
- Webmaster – Joanne Dempsey
- Membership Chairperson – Joanne Dempsey
- Event Coordinator – Mary Ann Bohannan
- Marketing/Publicity Director – Barb Daltorio
- T-Shirt Coordinator – Debbie Vallante
T-Shirts: Gail reported that Debbie Vallante has submitted a t-shirt order and will distribute the shirts as soon as they are received. Lightweight long-sleeve shirts are now available and are $14. Orders can be placed with Debbie.
2019 Dues: Dues remain at $20 per year. Joanne is collecting cash or checks which should be made payable to Naples Walking Club. They can also be mailed to our new P.O. Box: Naples Walking Club, P.O. Box 9223, Naples FL 34101-9223.
Upcoming Events: Mary Ann Bohannan, Interim Event Coordinator, reviewed the following upcoming events:
- The Christmas Party will be held on Sunday, December 16, 2018 at Wiggins Lakes and Preserve Clubhouse, 789 Wiggins Lakes Dr., Naples 34110. Attendees should bring a dish for the potluck. The club will supply the beverages including coffee, red and white wine, water and soda. Mary Ann and Carole Levick developed a list of those that will attend. Marsha McGuinness will arrange for the beverages. Mary Ann will send out a reminder email with directions.
- Joanne Dempsey confirmed that we will be co-sponsoring a walk at the Greenway with the Naples Pathways Coalition on Saturday, January 19, 2019 as part of the 1st Annual Paradise Coast Wellness Experience. The walk will start at 8:00 and we will have a table at the Greenway entrance with our banner, a brochure and application for club membership. The event will be published in the newspaper.
- Mary Ann indicated that the next monthly evening walk will be on Monday, December 3, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. Members should meet at Barnes and Noble and dinner after the walk will be at True Foods at Waterside Shops. Mary Ann asked if members would be interested in a future monthly evening walk on the first Monday of the month on Gulfshore Drive. Members would meet at the Village Pub at Venetian Village, walk Gulfshore and then eat at the Pub. Members indicated an interest in the proposed new walk.
- Mary Ann circulated a sign-up sheet and requested volunteers for working the first water station at the Naples Daily News Half-Marathon on January 20, 2019. Volunteers will get a free t-shirt. Charlie will bring the coffee and bagels.
- Gail indicated that a proposed trip to Atlanta was being planned for the Spring, probably in April or May. Mary Moran is helping to coordinate the trip which will most likely include walking the Beltline trail, attending a festival with a stop on the way at Gainesville for a walk and exploration. Further details will be forthcoming.
- Bill MacDonald suggested that the club may want to consider a trip for next December on the Christmas Lights Dinner Train. The event includes a train ride to Fisherman’s Wharf and then a boat ride to see the Christmas lights.
Mileage: Joanne Dempsey asked that any final mileage for the year be reported to her. She will be totaling 2018 reported mileage at the end of December. After discussion, club members agreed to discontinue collecting mileage beginning in 2019.
Next Meeting: The next meeting of the Naples Walking Club will be on Saturday, January 5, 2019 at the Greenway.