NAPLES WALKING CLUB
SATURDAY, JANUARY 5, 2019
Gail Risner opened the meeting at 8:10 a.m. Twenty-two (22) members were present. She also introduced new club member JoAnn Angel and indicated that Kate McCabe and Lilianna Gartman have also joined.
New Business: Linda McNerhany has volunteered to serve as our Vice President. Gail called for a vote and Linda was approved by the membership as Vice President. Club members really appreciate the hard work of all of our club officers.
Treasurer’s Report: Lucy Sparrazza, Treasurer, reviewed our income and expenditures and reported that the club has $677.17 as of December 31, 2018. A listing of upcoming expenses thru February 2019 was also reviewed.
November Minutes: Carol Mumford, Secretary, asked for approval of the December 1, 2018 Meeting Minutes. The minutes were approved as written.
Mileage: Joanne Dempsey, Webmaster, announced that the following members have reported year-end mileage for 2018:
- Linda McNerhany – 1,228 miles
- Lucy Sparrazza – 903 miles
- Nadine Kelly – 869 miles
- Ginny MacDonald – 860 miles
- Joanne Dempsey – 754 miles
- Bonnie Vaughan – 730 miles
Gail and Joanne again asked members if they would like to continue reporting mileage for 2019. After significant discussion the consensus was to continue mileage reporting. Members were encouraged to report their mileage, and should email it to Joanne at the end of each month.
2019 Dues: Joanne Dempsey, Membership Director, reported that we currently have 62 members and 40 members have paid their 2019 dues. She requested that members who have not yet paid do so as soon as possible. Dues remain at $20 per year, and Joanne is collecting cash or checks which should be made payable to Naples Walking Club. They can also be mailed to our new P.O. Box: Naples Walking Club, P.O. Box 9223, Naples FL 34101-9223.
T-Shirts: Debbie Vallante, T-Shirt Coordinator, indicated that a t-shirt order will again placed when she has requests for 12 shirts. Lightweight long-sleeve shirts are available and are $14. Orders can be placed by contacting or emailing Debbie. She also announced that our t-shirts will be displayed at the upcoming Paradise Coast Wellness Experience which we are co-sponsoring with the Naples Pathways Coailtion on January 19, 2019. Shirts and jackets that have been in inventory will be available for purchase at half-price at our February meeting.
Marketing/Publicity: Barb Daltorio, Marketing/Publicity Director, overviewed ideas to get more people involved in the club. She is in the process of placing an ad in the Naples Florida Weekly in the Club Notes section, and also listing our club on Craig’s List in the activities section. Suggestions were made to investigate possible ads in the Pelican Bay newsletter, placing our business cards and/or new club brochure at Blue Zones restaurants, at the library, etc.
Upcoming Events: Mary Ann Bohannan, Event Coordinator, reviewed the following upcoming events:
- Monthly Evening Walk – We will meet on Monday, January 7, 2019 at 5:30 in front of the Village Pub restaurant in Venetian Village. From there, we will walk for an hour on the well-lit sidewalk and walking paths along Gulf Shore Blvd. North. After our walk, we will have dinner at the Village Pub.
- 1st Annual Paradise Coast Wellness Experience – Joanne Dempsey confirmed that we will be co-sponsoring a walk at the Greenway with the Naples Pathways Coalition on Saturday, January 19, 2019 as part of the 1st Annual Paradise Coast Wellness Experience. The walk will start at 8:00 and we will have a table at the Greenway entrance with our new banner and new brochure which includes an application for club membership. The event will be published in the newspaper. Joanne asked for volunteers and circulated a sign-up sheet to lead walks and man the information table. Many thanks to Joanne for securing our new banner and developing our new brochure.
- Naples Daily News Half-Marathon Water Station – Mary Ann circulated a sign-up sheet and requested volunteers for working the first water station at the Naples Daily News Half-Marathon on January 20, 2019. Volunteers will get a free t-shirt. Volunteers should bring cookie trays, flashlights, rakes, etc. if they can. If you would like to go to breakfast following the half-marathon please let Wendy Bright know so she has a headcount for the restaurant reservation.
- Blue Zones- Track your Trek to Loma Linda – Gail provided an overview of a new Blue Zones initiative to get groups in Southwest Florida to track mileage for 10 weeks beginning on January 28, 2019. The goal is to encourage walking moais and walk 2,600 miles to Loma Linda, the original Blue Zones location. Many club members have already registered to participate, and Gail encouraged everyone to do so. Register at: trackyourtrek.eventbrite.com. For Organization, enter Naples Walking Club. Gail Risner was also quoted in a recent Naples Illustrated article on Blue Zones.
- 17th Annual NAMI Walk (National Alliance on Mental Illness) – The NAMI Walk will be held on Saturday, February 16, 2019. Mary Ann will register our club so there is no need to members to register individually. Please meet at Cambier Park at 9:00; the 2.5 mile walk begins at 9:30. For further information see: www.namicollier.org/nami-of-collier-countys-17th-annual-walk/
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade – Barb asked if the club was interested in participating in the Naples St. Patrick’s Day Parade on March 16, 2019. After significant discussion members voted to forego participating at this time.
- Atlanta Spring Trip and Walk – A trip to Atlanta is being planned for the Spring, probably in April or May. Mary Moran is helping to coordinate the trip which will most likely include walking the Beltline trail, and a stop on the way at Gainesville for a walk and exploration. Further details will be forthcoming.
- Future Parties – A Welcome Back Party will be held in late January at Mary Ann’s clubhouse. Mary Ann will send out an email with the details. Lloyd Adams has offered to have a barbeque at his community in March. A date and details will be determined.
Next Meeting: The next meeting of the Naples Walking Club will be on Saturday, February 2, 2019 at the Greenway.