NAPLES WALKING CLUB
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2019
Gail Risner opened the meeting at 8:15 a.m. Thirteen (13) members were present. Gail introduced new club member, Betty Tienhaara, and announced that we have three additional new members, Jan Coleman, Melody Richardson, and Michael Ryan.
Treasurer’s Report: In the absence of the Treasurer, Linda McNerheny, our Vice-President presented the Treasurer’s Report. The club has $1,041.81 as of January 31, 2019. A listing of upcoming expenses and donations was also reviewed.
Meeting Minutes: Carol Mumford, Secretary, asked for approval of the January 5, 2019 Meeting Minutes. The minutes were approved as written.
2019 Dues: Gail requested that members who have not yet paid their dues do so as soon as possible. Dues remain at $20 per year, and Joanne is collecting cash or checks which should be made payable to Naples Walking Club. They can also be mailed to our new P.O. Box: Naples Walking Club, P.O. Box 9223, Naples FL 34101-9223.
T-Shirts: Debbie Vallante, T-Shirt Coordinator, announced that Joanne Dempsey has updated our website to include a link to pictures and information on our t-shirts. A special thank you to Joanne for making this possible. Debbie also indicated that a t-shirt order will again placed when she has requests for 12 shirts (she has 5 requests so far). Lightweight long-sleeve shirts are $14 and short-sleeve shirts are $11. Orders can be placed by contacting or emailing Debbie.
Membership List: Carol Greenberg indicated that she will be sending an updated membership list. She encouraged everyone to check their information to assure it is up-to-date.
Events: In the Event Coordinator’s absence, Gail reviewed the following previous and upcoming events:
- Naples Daily News Half-Marathon – The volunteers who worked the water station at the Half-Marathon on January 20, 2019 did an outstanding job. Thank you to all of our wonderful volunteers!
- 17th Annual NAMI Walk (National Alliance on Mental Illness) – This 2.5 mile walk will be held on Saturday, February 16, 2019 starting in Cambier Park. Registration is 8-8:30 a.m. and the walk begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Monthly Evening Walks – Evening walks have been changed to the second Monday and fourth Thursday of the month. Reminder emails will be sent a few days before each walk. This month’s evening walks are:
- Monday, February 11, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. at the Village Pub restaurant in Venetian Village; we will walk for an hour, and then return to the Pub for dinner.
- Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.at Eagle Lakes Community Park; we will walk for an hour, and go to dinner either at Brook’s Burgers or another close-by restaurant.
- St. Patrick’s Day Potluck Party – Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. Lloyd Adams has graciously offered to host our party at the pavilion in his community. The party will be a potluck and details will be forthcoming. Mary Moran will be visiting Naples and will be able to attend the party.
- Blue Zones- Track your Trek to Loma Linda – Gail encouraged everyone to register and track their mileage for the Blue Zones’ Track your Trek to Loma Linda. Several methods of submitting mileage were discussed.
- Atlanta Fall Trip and Walk – A trip to Atlanta is being now being planned for mid to late October so we can combine leaf-peeping with our visit to Mary Moran. When Joanne Dempsey returns, she will research the best prices for convenient hotels. More details to come.
- PSP Walk – Carol Greenberg announced that this walk is being held on March 9, 2019 on Marco Island. Please see Carol for further details if you are interested in participating.
Next Meeting: The next meeting of the Naples Walking Club will be on Saturday, March 2, 2019 at the Greenway.