NAPLES WALKING CLUB
SATURDAY, MARCH 2, 2019
Gail Risner, President, opened the meeting at 8:18 a.m. Twenty-eight (28) members attended. Gail introduced new club member, Kathryn Wowk, and announced that we have two additional new members, Marlene Steele and Christine Ashley. Members should see Gail if they are interested in Walking Club business cards that can be used to invite others to attend our walks.
Treasurer’s Report: Lucy Sparrazza, Treasurer, reported that the club has $1,138.81 as of February 28, 2019. A listing of projected upcoming expenses were also included in the Treasurer’s Report.
Meeting Minutes: Carol Mumford, Secretary, asked for approval of the February 2, 2019 Meeting Minutes. The minutes were approved as written.
T-Shirts: Orders for t-shirts can be placed by contacting or emailing T-Shirt Coordinator, Debbie Vallante. Debbie also has some shirts in inventory which she can show you. Carol Greenberg announced that a former members had donated a Naples Walking Club jacket and several slightly-used shirts; interested members should see Carol if they are interested in the jacket or shirts.
Website: Gail and Joanne Dempsey, Website Coordinator, indicated that if anyone has difficulty getting on our Naples Walking Club website they should try a different browser.
Events: Mary Ann Bohannan, Events Coordinator, reviewed the following upcoming events:
- Blue Zones- Track your Trek to Loma Linda – Everyone was encouraged track their mileage through March 28th for the Blue Zones’ Track your Trek to Loma Linda.
- Monthly Evening Walks – Evening walks have been changed to the second Monday and fourth Thursday of the month. Reminder emails will be sent a few days before each walk. This month’s evening walks are:
- Monday, March 11, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. at the Village Pub restaurant in Venetian Village; we will walk for an hour, and then return to the Pub for dinner.
- Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.at Eagle Lakes Community Park; we will walk for an hour, and go to dinner either at Brook’s Burgers or another close-by restaurant.
- PSP Walk – Carol Greenberg announced that this walk is a fundraiser and is being held on Saturday, March 9, 2019 on Marco Island from 10:30-1:30. Interested members should register and submit their registration receipts to Lucy. The club will collectively reimburse members up to $100.
- St. Patrick’s Day Potluck Party – Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. Lloyd Adams has graciously offered to host our party at the pavilion in his community, Marco-Naples RV Resort. The party will be a potluck and an email with a map and directions will be sent out soon. Members should bring a dish to pass and their own drinks. The club will supply water, plates, cups, etc. Mary Moran will be visiting Naples and will be able to attend the party.
- National Walking Day, Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 5:30 -This one mile walk will be at the North Collier Regional Park. The American Heart Association sponsors this day to remind people about the health benefits of taking a walk. Members should wear your Naples Walking Club t-shirt (preferably white).
- Hills of Marco Walk – Linda McNerheny announced that the tentative date for this walk will be Saturday, April 20th at 7:30 a.m. More details to follow.
- Atlanta Fall Trip and Walk – A trip to Atlanta is being now being planned for mid to late October. Information regarding exact dates and hotel suggestions will be discussed at the April meeting.
- Sarasota Trip – Mary Ann announced that there are still seats available on her community’s Trendy Tours Thursday, March 7th day trip to the Ringling Museum in Sarasota. Please see Mary Ann for further details if you are interested in participating.
Next Meeting: The next meeting of the Naples Walking Club will be on Saturday, April 6, 2019 at the Greenway.